United Way of Carlisle & Cumberland County is monitoring the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the U.S. and Cumberland County. Should local, county or state officials impose restrictions on public meetings, we will cancel meetings and/or events. As the situation evolves, we will continue to update this information.
We encourage you to learn more about the spread of the virus and how to protect yourself and your family.
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) is maintaining a robust website with information and answers to commonly asked questions here.
The CDC has reported illnesses from mild symptoms to severe illness for confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases.
Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure and include:
• Shortness of breath
Currently there is no vaccine to prevent COVID-19. The best way to prevent infection is to take the following precautions:
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
• Stay home when you are sick.
• Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
Call your healthcare provider if you develop symptoms, have been in close contact with a person known to have COVID-19 or if you have recently traveled from an area with widespread or ongoing community spread of COVID-19.
Stay up to date using these trusted sources.